Monday, May 2, 2011

Without grace...

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr


Without grace, we all get justice.


I am happy that, for many families who suffered loss on 9/11 and in the years following, there is closure. I can certainly appreciate that the US set out on an objective and accomplished their goal. I wish I didn't live in a world where this went on, but I suppose war, death, and hatred are part of human life. I'm not a pacifist. I realize war is necessary in some cases. I was fully in support of taking action after 9/11... I don't even know what I'm trying to say. But there is certainly a lot of mixed emotions here.

I was asked by someone: What if Levi was raped or killed? How would you feel about that person? Would you want them dead? Because that is how some people are feeling. I understand that, but this was my response:
"Hate paying back hate or death paying back death has never done any good for anyone. ... And no, I would want justice, but I can't imagine wanting to actually take a human's life. and if I did, I hope someone would remind me that they were loved and valuable. I hope that I would remember that, without grace, I am subject to the same damnation."

I don't really want to open up debate, I just wanted to get my ideas out there. For myself. I am still processing all the events of the past 24 hours. I still go back and forth between elation, fear, sadness, and pride. I won't be linking this one to facebook, I just can't do another night of fighting. But I really needed to try to get some words to screen about my feelings...

That is all.

-ktw

No comments: