Thursday, June 11, 2009

Officially nesting.

When I was about 10 years old, I distinctly remember coming home from school to find my very pregnant mother painting our (formerly red) front door a lovely shade of black. For no reason whatsoever. Apparently those who were more "in the know" than my 10 year old self knew something had to be up. The very next day my brother Zachariah was born. And a few weeks later someone repainted the door!

In the last 2 weeks I have noticed a huge change in my energy, personality, and drive. Most everyone told me the 2nd trimester would be the best, I would feel amazing and be able to do whatever I needed. Um, no. Whether because of the stress of taking my doctoral exams or what, I was miserable. For real. There wasn't anything wrong with me physically, but I was lethargic and hazy and unmotivated. I felt overwhelmed generally and didn't accomplish much. I did take and defend my exams, so I guess I have something to show for it!

However, in the last 2 weeks I am like my old self. I have completely gotten summer programs at church organized, planned, and ready. I have cleaned out the future nursery, put together (by myself!) new shelving and cabinets, put in new light switch covers, and finally gotten together all of the things we haven't put on our walls in the 2 years we've been here. Also, with the help of some friends I have rearranged the front room, cleaned, organized, and de-cluttered. Oh- and did I mention I also just turned in my 4th (and hopefully almost last) draft of my dissertation prospectus?

And I feel like I can do more. I am staying up a little later and not needing to nap as often. In general, I just feel awesome. I mean, sure I have some extra aches and pains that didn't exist a few months ago and it's more difficult to get up and down to the floor. But overall, I'm just excited and ready.

I have 10 weeks until the due date. If I'm anything like my mom and my sister I will be early. If I know my luck I will be late! 4 of those weeks are completely taken by church (2 weeks of set-up and 2 weeks of camp-eek!). So, by the time I am done with the last day of VBS I will be 36 weeks. I can't imagine that I will be in the mood to do much of anything besides lay in my dad's pool, so I am trying desperately to get everything done in the next 2 weeks.

I really just want everything to be clean and organized and ready for the baby. Partially because I want to bring my baby into a nice environment, but also partly because I know my life will be turned upside down by this wrinkly ball of flesh and any organizing, de-cluttering, and cleaning I can do now can only help, right?

So yes. I am nesting. Matt loves it. He comes home every day to find a new project completed or a new room cleaned and decorated! Let's hope I can get the rest of the house done before the end of June!

ktw
39w5d


p.s. If all goes well, I should be able to post nursery pictures next week!!! We have some friends coming tomorrow to put up the trim, and it's looking like the paint should happen this weekend. Hooray!

No comments: