So last night I was rear-ended while waiting to take a right. I looked in my rearview mirror and the man in the driver seat was flailing his hands and yelling something- as though it was my fault?! So I get out of the car, in the rain, with my massively pregnant self. I say something to the man about him hitting me and he says "it's not like I meant to hit you." He continues muttering the whole time. I get annoyed and say something like- yaknow I'm pregnant and I am probably going to have to go to the hospital to get checked out. He responds with "yeah, like I knew you were pregnant when i hit you." Ok- I just lost it. I started crying. Hysterically. I told him to just get the heck away from me b/c there was no damage.
After this I sat at the intersection trying not to hyperventilate from shock and upsettedness. I tried to get a hold of someone to ask whether I should head to the hospital or what. My midwife called me back, we chatted and agreed that I should just be aware of whats going on and call back if anything changes or feels not right.
Skip to this morning when I wake up to some serious cramping pain- as in that feeling when you wake up and just know you are about to get your period. (sorry for the tmi). I hung out for a bit to see if it would go away on its own, but when an hour had passed and Matt's alarm went off I figured it was time to call the midwife. She told me I should probably come in to get checked out.
Matt and I collected ourselves, brushed our teeth, and headed out to the hospital. They got us settled in and hooked me to the monitors. The nurse noted right away that I was indeed contracting somewhat significantly and quite regularly. I told her that I had been contracting pretty much every 5-10 minutes for the last 3 weeks, but the MW said not to worry unless it became difficult to talk during them. I must admit that it was nice to know that these things were indeed real contractions and that I wasn't just being a crazy first time pregnant lady.
So anyway, the bottom line is that the contractions are not advancing labor at all. I am still fully closed and not really efaced. She did note that I am just about carrying the baby "around my knees" which I guess proves that I have dropped significantly. Good times. The internal exam was not comfortable in the least. I was not expecting that, especially when they say "just a little pressure." What liars!!!!
As they were going to discharge us, my nurse came in to tell me that there was a sign of an infection (bladder or kidney) which would explain all of my contractions. Making them not Braxton Hicks, though still harmless. She gathered some more samples and I will hear tomorrow about what's going on with that.
All in all, it was actually a comforting (though slightly nerve-wracking) 3 1/2 hour start to my day. The good news is that I loved the childbirth center, the nurse, the midwife, and the fact that they brought matt and I breakfast. I feel fully confident in their ability to handle whatever happens in the next 6 weeks- yes SIX... if that. Geez.
The bad news? It was that nightmare. You know, the one where you go into labor and both your cameras, your camcorder, and your phone are all completely dead. You don't have a bag packed. You haven't shaved your legs in 3 or 4 days. You didn't get a chance to shower and your hair is a lovely shade of grease. You have no bag packed for anything at all.
Granted, it was early and I knew that we weren't having a baby today. But still. It scared me. So- the top of the to-do list is now packing a bag and keeping everything fully charged at all times!! I am hoping we got that out of the way for this practice run and don't have to worry about it happening when we get to the real deal.
ktw
33w5d
Oh, i know i am neglecting this blog. sorry. i have all sorts of ideas of things to write about, but between Shout! week and VBS set-up I have been out of the house and internet-less for nearly 2 weeks. the good news is that next Saturday, it will all be done! woot.
No comments:
Post a Comment