Friday, May 29, 2009

7 Month Check Up. Warning- Rant ahead!

So I will get the basics out of the way first. Glucose test came back normal, Iron levels are fine (so that's not the source of my dizziness, eh), Baby is doing just fine, and my weight has soared to heights I never dreamed. Fantastic, I got through all that with the nurse.

However, I met a new doctor today- Dr. S. She seemed nice enough and at least didn't make me feel rushed like some of the other doctors. She actually sat down as I asked her questions. However, that was where the positives end. She basically brushed off all of my health concerns. Told me to cut back on sugar intake for dizziness, told me upper back pain was normal, told me she knew of no maternal/fetal chiropractors and I'd have to call my primary (umm, 1 I don't really have a primary right now, and 2 wouldn't you guys know best about a maternal/fetal anything?). Anyway, that was only the beginning of my annoyance- which really is an annoyance with doctors in general, who don't really seem to listen to your concerns but let you finish your plea and act like you're making things up. I tried saying, I understand back pain is normal but this is upper back pain and it is around a 7, as in- it is interfering with my life as I can't sit or stand for extended periods of time. She said I should try heat. Thanks.

Okay. So then I say to her, I want to be up front and let you know that I am going to be interviewing a midwife this week and I just wanted to talk with you about procedure here so I have a better idea as I make my decision about where to give birth and with who. She nods (without having looked me in the eye once at this point... ugh) and I go on. My first question is meant to just get an idea of her thoughts on birth, "What is standard procedure for labor at Albany med concerning IVs and monitoring." Her answer? Well, we have no real set rules about when a patient can have pain relief, we will give you an epidural as soon as you ask for one if your pain level is that high (oh gee, so you'll give me a freakin spinal block when I'm 2 cms but you won't refer me to a chiropractor when I can't sit, hmmm.)

I'm wondering at this point if there was some sort of miscommunication, because I clearly had not asked about pain relief. So I say, well I am actually hoping to have a natural birth so I'm not that worried about an epidural. I'm actually wondering about your policy regarding hep locks, IVs and constant monitoring. In other words, will I be able to move freely during the birthing process.

She smirked some jerk smile, still not having looked me in the eyes, and told me that I was welcome to see how long I could go with the pain (hmmm, thanks. again, not what i asked). She then proceeded to tell me that obstetrics could not be planned, but they would allow flexibility during the first stage of labor.

So I am basically solidified in my hopes of switching now. I kept my next appointment with Dr. Clark because I really like him and want him to give me a different answer- and if he did I would ask if he would take me on as an exclusive patient. It's a long shot. But really, I genuinely like him and the way he has worked.

I just can't imagine a birth philosophy that says "sure you can move but only until it gets really painful, then we will hook you to a monitor and an IV and make you lay on your back so that it gets to the point that you can no longer bear it." No wonder 98% of women who deliver at that hopsital have epidurals. I mean, really, who stands a chance when people's attitudes are like that?

Oh, and the kicker? She closed by saying something about how she won't be offended if I switch to a midwife, so if I really feel that I would be better off with one to go ahead. But warned again that obstetrics can't be planned, so not to think that my labor will be ok just because my pregnancy has been.

And if you are sitting here laughing to yourself about how i will "learn" once I go through birth, just keep the comments politely to yourself. Maybe I will post a longer commentary on my choice for active natural birth another time, but I truly feel that God has created my body with the innate ability to give birth. I can guarantee you that women have been doing it for as long as we've existed. No, I am not looking for a medal. No I don't enjoy pain. Yes, I know it's labor, painful, hard work. I know there is no extra prize at the end of a natural delivery. But I also know the risks/downfalls associated with the other options and I will choose a day of pain over them.

/rant

Anyway, the nice receptionist lady gave me the name of a chiropractor who I will see Tuesday. Thursday I meet with a midwife for a consult. I am hoping she at least looks me in the eye as she talk to me. Here's to hoping!

27w7d

No comments: