Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Active Birthing Class.

So let's just say that I knew what I was getting myself into signing up for an "active birthing class" at the "family life center." Well. I thought I did! Our first week we spent most of the night being lectured about how doctors don't deliver babies, because labor is not an illness you need to be delivered from. We also felt kind of uncomfortable as it was obvious that our current choice of OB over midwife (which is one we are continually considering switching) was not so popular with our teacher.

Anyway. Tonight there were some really positive parts of class. Most exciting was when Betsy taught us how to feel for the baby and his/her positioning. She had me lay down and she starting moving and pushing a little and she said in the sweetest voice, "oh hi, baby!" It was kind of exciting. Even though I feel the baby all the time and find the butt or legs or something it was just really fun to hear someone talk to the baby that way. I also learned that the little sweeping movements I feel on my pelvic bone and in my lower abdomen were probably fingers. Basically the baby is tickling me! I love it!

Matt, however, may be scarred for life after this class even with the good parts. We watched this video from 1979 called "Birth in the Squatting Position" which literally just featured up close money shots of babies being born while their mother's squatted. It was pretty cool to see the babies just sort of, slide out. However, I will admit, watching it that closely was a bit much, even for me! I don't think Matt will ever want to come near me again after watching that happen to me!! I will spare you all the actual comments he made, though, mostly out of embarrassment.


I will end on another positive. I leave for Disney World tomorrow morning. Updates may be few and far between for the week. However, fun things to look forward to when I come home: Glucose testing, Interviewing Doulas, Having sit-down meetings with mid-wives... ohhhh and entering the 3rd and final trimester!

25w4d

No comments: